Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekends, Music, and Family

I love weekends. I love free time, but of course, there would be no appreciating free time without the busy-ness of life! There needs to be opposition in all things, as the Book of Mormon says, if we are to grow.

And I love music. For example, on the TV right now, (KBYU commercial) is "I Hope you Dance." I love that song, and I love dancing to music I love. (Not that I let anyone but the grandkids see. They tend not to notice that my dancing looks like dancing from the 70s and 80s!) But music can definitely affect my moods. Just listened to last week's Mormon Tab broadcast; the final song was one composed for the choir by John Williams, Call of the Champions, the theme for the 2002 Olympics. It was amazing, as is his music. And the song before that, Redeemer of Israel-- with the choir and a full orchestra. I think, more than anything else, music can bring the Spirit of the Lord more quickly, and help people feel the true purpose of life more readily than words. However, I've been reading the New Testament lately. I love reading the words of the Savior-- I hope to know Him better.

I'm grateful for the positive power of music! I'm so impressed with people who compose amazing music, like Lisa's boyfriend, David Stillman. He's a wonderful composer, and not even 19 yet. Can't wait to see where his career goes after his mission. My son, Kevin, is a very gifted composer also. I also expect great things out of each of children and their spouses though. Can't wait to see where they all head in life--they don't always realize it, but they are each very loving, talented and amazing people, and I am so grateful to have them in our family!

My predictions for THEIR future: Brian is going to marry a wonderful woman, and find a career he really loves; Anna is going to graduate with her wonderful husband Lance's help and she will help many people throughout her career; and their children are going to grow up to be happy people; Kevin is going to become a great film director and Michelle is going to find a job she loves, and eventually they will have happy children too; Sarah and Gary are going to find a home they can settle down in and raise their beautiful children together; Lisa is going to get married to the man of her dreams, and find happiness and success in whatever she decides to do. And we will be together a forever family, for which, above all things, I am most grateful.

1 comment:

dcbach said...

Thanks Karen! Your the best.