Saturday, January 10, 2009

I started my blog, sort of, one year ago. Must have been a New Year's resolution last year too! But I decided to try it out, to let people know a little bit more about me.

Some people may think we live a rather boring life: quiet, small town in Northern Utah, though we have had our share of living in more densely populated areas: especially Sacramento, where four of our five children were born. Only one of our children, our youngest, was also born in Utah, and ironically, in the same hospital in which I was born, only 31 years later.

So my husband and I met in California at a church dance, 30 years ago this summer. I was waiting for a missionary to return, and fairly certain I was going to marry him, but instead, met and then married my sweet husband. I didn't know a relationship could feel so right until we decided to get married. It has been a very good choice: we are very compatible, and get along most of the time. (There are those exceptions, like with everyone.)

I did the traditional Mormon wife and mother thing, I stayed home, for the most part, and had our five children in the space of ten years. But during that time I would continue to take a few classes, work a few small jobs on the side, while I tried hard to enjoy our children. (Anyone with children KNOWS that sometimes is a LOT harder than it looks.) Then, after fifteen years of marriage, I decided to go back to school, got my degree in Social Work, and then six years later, completed my graduate degree in Social Work. In the past 8 years I have been a practicing mental health therapist, a career I thoroughly enjoy.

Still, my main joy is my family, which I believe, since I am a very active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is eternal, a privilege that anyone in the world can enjoy now or in the future, if they would like. (And yes, often times I DO want to live with them forever!) Our family has grown to 17 people now! Five children, three of whom are married to great people, with seven grandchildren, who I completely, head over heels love!! (Of course, I don't have to raise them on a daily basis, for which I am ALSO profoundly grateful.)

Now, lest you think I am somehow thinking we are PERFECT or even somewhere in that general neighborhood, no. We are far from perfect, but we keep trying, and, thank goodness for repentance!!

So that's the background of my life. The setting is a very pretty town in a valley in Northern Utah, and at this moment, I can see from my den window, a beautiful view of snow covered Rocky Mountains, tinged with pink from the setting sun. My yard out the window is small, but also picturesque as snow decorates everything in sparkling white. It's cold outside, and though it doesn't allow my husband Mark and I to go on our much loved bike rides, at least we can look outside and enjoy the beauty of this beautiful Valley.

3 comments:

kevinmark20 said...

Good job mam! Welcome to the blogosphere

Alissa said...

You blog looks great! After all these years, I'm now realizing just how much we have in common!

reallifemormonwife said...

Thanks Kevin. I like to look at things globally; how will blogs/and new technology impact the world?

And thanks Alissa. I think we DO have a lot in common. I'm glad we still do lunch often!