Sunday, August 17, 2014

3.5 months till Adoption!

This morning, I woke up with a dream about Madison, that she was being relocated somewhere near our home. I had a sense, even in my dream, that it had to be a dream, because she has been adopted into someone else's family. Still, it was very meaningful to me that she is STILL showing up in my dreams and I still miss her. Probably always will. Still miss Tasia too, but not as much, because she chose to leave.  She has not contacted us since February. We wish her well in her future life.

So having Brianna here has been lots of fun, and lots of work, as with most children, I suppose. She has her frustrating, annoying moments, sure, but what child doesn't? We enjoy life with Brianna! It is fun to have a six year old and fun to have reason to do more activities with  her, and with the other grandchildren.

So far, the grandchildren have all been pretty accepting. I think with several of them we are past the novelty stage, and into the "You are sometimes fun and sometimes irritating," as in with their own siblings.

I"m grateful that we have her in our lives, NOT because we didn't have enough to do with the children and grandchildren we already have, but because we felt we could do more than we had done.

I am still sad that several of my grandchildren I don't get to see as much, probably because we have Brianna, who is, admittedly, very time consuming. I am sad about that.  I hope they all know how much I care, even if my time is more limited now with the ones who don't live close by. I hope and pray that overall, having Brianna augments quality time with family. Maybe overall it will eventually, but for now, we just do what we can do.

YEs, there are are times when Brianna gets in her defiant mode, and you really have to use all your brains and spirituality, and support network to figure out what to do that would be helpful. But the theory is, the more understanding you are with the child and the behavior, the more she should stabilize. Because she at times will quickly regress into toddlerhood and needs extra care and attention.

I wish I could share all the sweet, adorable times with Brianna:
 I love it when Brianna comes into our room bright and early each morning, and says, "Good morning Mom! Good morning Dad!" I love watching her play with our dog, Aussie as they tumble around together. I love watching her play happily for hours in the back yard, either by herself or with one of the grandkids. I love their happy sounds. I love her spirited (nonstop) talking; she has a thought about everything. I love it when she sees a horse; every horse is named "Flicka!" and every Flicka is hers.

I love hearing her prayers (she wants to say every single one); love that she loves music and singing; and I love tucking her in at night. NIghttime routine is pretty consisted: family prayer, then Dad leaves, then Brianna chooses a story which I read to her, then she says her own prayer, ie, "Heavenly Father, thanks for Karen and Mark. PLus I love Mom and Dad. Plus I love Aussie" a few other "plusses" and she is done within 10 seconds.) Then I sing her 3 songs of her choosing, while scratching the requisite arm, or spot on her back. Then I may rest a minute by her, or she may say, "Will you please leave my room now?" I wish I could portray all the sweet, adorable moments we share with her. But you would probably just think we are still honeymooning. I really don't think so.

With Brianna, you pretty much get what you get. And we are glad we "got" her.

1 comment:

Tiesha said...

Karen, thanks for being so amazing! I so love you and your blog :) Thanks for sharing! -- Tiesha